Saturday, January 7, 2012

Through the Lens Series - Entry 1

Towards the end of 2011, I started thinking about what type of goals I would like to set myself for photography.  I was getting newsletter emails every day telling me what goals I should set and what I could do to improve my photography business for the coming year, but the problem with sending out those types of bulk emails is that you might end up with a thousand other photographers doing the same things to improve their SEO and make more money.

After a lot of thought, I decided that I just want to become a better photographer.  I had my plate full with great photography jobs last year, but sadly I don't take too many photos just for the love of it anymore.  I had so many people comment that I must have screeds of photos of my son and my family and the truth is that sometimes I get over worked and I just don't feel like pulling out my camera at the end of a long day.

So, my goal for 2011 is to carry some sort of camera and lens combo with me as often as possible and to capture the people in my life, just purely for the love of it.  In the process, I think it'll help to improve my portraits and my editing skills, and I should end up with a good collection of interesting shots at the end of the year.  Sometimes it's hard to find an interesting angle on things you see every day, and this is my way of stepping up to the challenge.

I'm hoping to do a post at least once a week.  A lot of photographers do a 52 week challenge each year, but the honest truth is that sometimes I just get swamped, like everyone does.  It's something to work towards and if I miss a week, I'm not going to beat myself up about, but there will probably be 2 posts the following week!

Enough rambling and on with the show.  Here is my first entry for the year and these were actually taken in the last few hours of 2011.  I won't go into the full story, but all I can say is that sometimes when you become a parent, the anticipation of going out for a big night can be more fun than once you get there.

Happy New Year!


3 comments:

  1. you wanna know what Monique and I did this NYE? we were at her Grandparents house in Tomakin, NSW with her whole extended family (all 7 of them) and Indi was asleep... we had a sit down dinner outside under the new gazebo her grandfather had just had built then proceeded to play charades in the lounge, sipping on sparkling and eventually watching the Sydney fireworks show in a little 22 inch tv with a bottle of Bollinger between 9 of us! Best NYE i've had in a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although, I did buy Monique and Nikon D300s for xmas, so once Her and Indi get back to Karratha in February, i'll be able to upload some pics of our shenanigans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Hik, for the record, the dad's were allowed to go out for the night. The Mum's stayed home and slept through the countdown. Apparently kids make you exhausted or something.

    ReplyDelete